Global Liquidity Dashboard

Web application for a Fortune 500 bank

Liquidity Dashboard

Brief

**Detailed case study available upon request.**

This project served the Corporate Treasury line of business at the bank. The UX team was asked to take a look at the existing process of monitoring the bank's incoming and outgoing total money flows and improve upon the user experience.

Project Goals: The stakeholders hoped the improved user experience would not only save Corporate Treasury operations time, but also help them increase transparency, satisfy new regulatory requirements, and enhance reporting capabilities.

My Role: A colleague helped me initially with the user research but afterwards I became the lead designer on this project. I worked closely with the users (Corporate Treasury operations personnel), stakeholders (senior executives heading the line of business), business analysts, project managers, and developers throughout the life of this project.

Due to my non-disclosure agreement, I have obfuscated and anonymized confidential information. The designs presented here are my own that are based on the original.

1    Exploration

Preparation

To understand the scope of the project, my colleague and I first had several meetings with the stakeholders of the project. We interviewed them to understand their vision, project requirements, and identify the various roles that would be giving input in the new system.

User Research

Once we understood the scope, it was time to dive into understanding the users of the existing system. We began with extensive interviews with the users to understand their existing processes, artifacts, goals, and behaviors. We also used contextual inquiry to observe their work and performed task analysis exercises.

Findings

Standardized Interface

Users in the operation room would have to cover for one another from time to time. This meant the interface needed to be standardized across regions and flexible enough so that users on different continents could easily pick up one another's work.

Mobility At All Times

Users need to be able to check anomalies in the money flows as soon as they came up, even if they were in a meeting or home. Mobile access away from their desktop was a must.

Predictive Capabilities

Users needed a way to pre-empt anomalies in the money flow. Reactionary measures were generally already too late to stop ripple effects to the treasury's health.

Investigating Root Causes

Most of the time users only needed to monitor and make sure the incoming and outgoing money flows looked normal. However, the interface also needed to help users investigate root causes of anomalies once they occurred.

2    Ideate Solutions

Based on the research, I could create a schema for all incoming and outgoing money flows. From a high level, there were different channels that the money moved through, broken down by various regions. I started sketching out how a user might see all these channels, and laid out the most important pieces of information that needed to be displayed in this summary view.

Summary Views

Next I mapped out what the detailed view of each channel might look like. The detailed view had much more functionality so users could investigate anomalies in the money movement when they occurred.

Mobile Detailed View
Tablet & Larger Detailed View
Desktop Detailed View

A key new feature of this design was predictive alerting capabilities that would help users pre-empt potential anomalies and take action to ensure the treasury's health would not be impacted. This took the form of a persistent alert icon in the header that would display new and archived alerts.

3    High Fidelity Prototyping

After several iterations of sketching and wireframing with the users, I created high fidelity prototypes. The mobile breakpoint has the least functionality and only presents the most important information to the user based on the mobile usage scenarios. If an anomaly occurs, the users still have the tools to investigate and deal with the issue.

In the new design, the health of the overall system is written in plain text and prominently displayed. Should an anomaly occur, the users would immediately be notified and in one tap be able to drill into the details of the clearing channel or subgroup where the issue occurred.

Rather than navigating through several levels, there is also a search function that allows a user to jump to a specific clearing channel or subgroup for cases when they know of a problem and need to quickly get to a specific part of the information hierarchy.

Mobile Views
iPad Summary View
iPad Detail View
Desktop Detail View

4    Test the Design

After creating prototypes, I tested it with users and got more feedback. For this project, it was very fortunate that a lot of time was built into the project timeline to allow for several design iterations. Thus, when developers began making the prototypes into reality, minimal changes to the design needed to be made. At that point, my role in the project became mostly QA and ensuring the build met the design and UX specifications.

5    Impact

This project successfully met the summer deadline to increase transparency to regulatory authorities and satisfy regulatory requirements by enabling users to produce higher quality reports with greater frequency. In addition to the improved analytics and reporting capabilities, the design drastically improved the user's response time to anomalies through real time metrics and dashboard-based alerts. With the new design, operations can be optimized with a focus on analysis and preventative action instead of gathering fragmented data. Financial costs can also be minimized through the alerting mechanism and more accurate data, contributing to lower liquidity buffers and less collateral utilization.